Diesel Generators distributor direct; 866-792-8220 or
Is power outage causing a negative impact on your home or business? If so, it's time you invested in a high quality backup or emergency power generators for uninterrupted power supply. You can use the utility power provided by these generators to ensure smooth functioning of your business and boost your ability to meet customer demands.
Selecting the ideal generators for your unique application is not an easy task though. The market is flooded with various generator models and thus, a flawed selection process could result in a purchase that doesnít particularly suit your requirements. In the worst case scenario, your generator may shutdown without having supplied any power at all. Thus, itís important to do your homework and research before buying.
Diesel-generators.org sales engineers can make the process easy for you. We provide application engineering for all our clients to help them get the most out of their chosen generator. Hereís more on how to zero in on the best generator for your needs:
• Assist us by telling us about your power requirements in case of an emergency:
It is imperative that you determine the amount of power required for the appliances you need the most in case of a power cut. If you donít know, try our handy power selection worksheet to come up with the figure.
Even portable power generators will require a
transfer switch to safely power the circuits in your home.
Note: portable generators require transfer switches to safely power circuits within your home.
• It is important to be familiar with electrical terms
While weíve all heard of Watts, volts, amps, KWA and KVA- only a few of us are aware of what they represent. At diesel-generators.org; we provide our customers with a glossary of terms including the ones given above for added convenience.
• Standby or Primary Power?
Your ideal generator model will be decided according to your power needs, budget and convenience.
Home Power Issues Do remember to examine your existing electrical service panel and gas line before buying a generator. Most natural gas generators require 14 column inches of water (pressure/volume rating) to operate. Without this rating, you may be forced to have a second run of natural gas brought to the generator. Do confirm your natural gas generator with your service provider before buying.
• Compare products to find the right fit
There are various power generation companies in the standby generator market Ė each with their own individual generator models. To pick the best out of these, compare power outputs, run time, prices and any bonus features that are included within the price to make your decision. Also, look at accessories, warranties, support and installation.
• Check for additional costs added to actual cost
These power generators must be installed in compliance to local building codes- preferably by skilled electrical contractors. The cost can be substantial for the same, and therefore, itís always prudent to enquire about it in advance. Also find out whether you require an accessory such as a cover to protect against the elements. Click here for more information on transfer switch also an essential accessory.
• Consider Budget
Generators are available for a wide range of prices. Therefore, itís important to figure out your budget and seek out a generator that matches the same.
• Classification of generators
Generators serve as the most powerful power backup in the world today. Modern day versions of these machines have been classified according to their usage and are now available in two categories- i.e.; Standby and Portable. Each generator type has its own advantages and utility. You can select between the two in accordance to your power requirements.
•Standby Power Generators:
Generators have to be eco- compliant and thus, itís best to let professional electrical contractors install them accordingly. However, the installation process can only be undertaken with permission from the local building authority to avoid discrepancies. Hereís a look at some key factors of Standby generators:
• Standby generators are capable of generating 5000-25000Watts or more of power. You should choose one that supplies adequate power and continuous wattage to run the appliances on the circuits you need the most.
• Standby generators have been classified into two categories- liquid cooled and air cooled. The liquid cooled models are bigger and generate more power than their air cooled counterpart.
• Standby generators can be directly wired to your existent electrical system by professional electric contractors. Donít install it on your own though. Doing so may result in the cancellation of the permit given by the local building authority. It may even go against the warranty terms. So do your research before installing.
• If you choose to self-install, start by mounting the generator unit outside your home with the help of manufacturer provided concrete or plastic pads. You can also get a contractor to lay the concrete foundation or raise the platform for generator installation.
• After installation, call your local gas or propane dealer to fix the unit to its fuel base.
• Lastly, get a contractor to hook the generator up with your homeís electrical circuitry. Some generators come with pre-wired kits which make it a lot easier for you to do the wiring yourself. Nonetheless, getting the job done by a licensed electrical contractor is recommended for safety reasons.
• Generators can be operated either manually or with an automatic switch. If youíve used an automatic switch before, you probably know that it turns on automatically upon detection of any kind of power disruption in the main power supply. Power is then generated consistently till the main power supply resumes normally. With a manual switch, you will have to turn on and turn off the generator by yourself.
• Changing of oil and filter work is done regularly for a standby generator. Maintenance kits are often provided by manufacturers to make the job more convenient.
Portable power generators are mobile back up power sources and are available in different sizes and power levels. These generators can be used for most power generation purposes and are particularly appropriate for agriculture, camping, mining, recreation, natural disaster preparation etc. Unless theyíre connected to your power panel you do not need professional electric contractors to install them (check with your local inspector to be sure). Installation must be done carefully to avoid any accident.
Portable generators are usually priced according to their power capacity and size. On the other hand, a standby model may cost as little as $1500 or as much as $15,000.
Measuring Power requirement
There are two basic power measurements used for generators Ė Starting Watts (also known as startup power, max watts or peak power) and continuous or running watts. Appliances require starting watts either at start up or at their peak power consumption level. Continuous power is required for smooth functioning of appliances under normal load. Both of these are measured in watts.